Skip to main content

Light's Vision

Birnie Rhind

Birnie Rhind, Light's Vision commemoration, 1906, bronze

On the top of Montefiore Hill with a view across the Park Lands towards the city, stands a statue to commemorate storied surveyor Colonel William Light.

The statue was relocated from Victoria Square in 1938, and the area is called Light's Vision based on the notion that Light stood here when he picked the spot for Adelaide. It is debated if this patch is the exact spot where Light stood in 1837, and said "this is the place for a city". Some historians believe it was on the corner of North and West Terrace, but nevertheless the chosen site has a great view, and the walk from the north end of the city to Montefiore Hill is very pleasant, passing Adelaide Oval and through some beautiful parks.

Wherever he conceived it, Light's contribution was fundamental in Adelaide's success as a modern city. As Surveyor-General of the colony, he designed streets running east-west to cope with dusty north winds, open grassed squares within the city and the surrounding Park Lands.

Montefiore Hill, Stella Bowen Park /Tarntanya Wama, Montefiore Road, North Adelaide

Year Produced
1906

Materials
Bronze

Disclaimer: The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.