Photo Library

White Horse Hotel, Currie Street, 1922

Photo taken 01 January 1922

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 847

The White Horse Hotel seen in January 1922 with its urn topped roof balustrade. The verandah and balcony had small triangular pediment motifs echoing the central gable of the balcony. Directly opposite Peel Street on Currie Street. The verandah featured interesting ironwork. It was a popular watering hole from 1841 until it was delicensed in 1922. This building dates from 1875. The Rankine family of publicans were the last licensees from 1911 to 1921. The building was then taken over by Elder Smith and Company, the agricultural supplier. Its verandah was removed, and then in 1935 it was demolished and the present Elder House was built.

Go to State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia