Photo Library

White Horse Hotel and Currie Chambers, 41-49 Currie Street, Adelaide, 1900

Photo taken 01 January 1900

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 5264

Photographer: Ernest Gall

The White Horse Hotel in 1900 can be seen at left of this photograph. Directly opposite Peel Street on Currie Street. The verandah featured interesting ironwork. It was a popular watering hole from 1841 until it was delicensed in 1922. This building dates from 1875. Mrs J Bleechmore was licensee in 1900. The building was then taken over by Elder Smith and Company, the agricultural supplier. Its verandah was removed, and then in 1935 it was demolished and the present Elder House was built. Currie Chambers when owned by Adelaide Steamship Company. Other signs refer to Goldfields sea trips, Dancing at Mrs Woods classrooms, Bennett Stock and Station Agents.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia