Photo Library

Sportsman's Hotel, Byron Place, 1875


Photo taken 31 December 1874

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 681

West side of Byron Place, between Gouger Street and Grote Street. Established in 1839 the licence for the Sportsman's was relocated to 185 Grote Street, on the corner of Byron Place, in 1919. No longer operating as a hotel, the Grote Street building still survives. The Byron Place building was later used by Cleland and Sons Wine Merchants and has been demolished.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.