Photo Library

Prince of Wales Hotel, Angas Street, 1870

Photo taken 31 December 1869

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 16004/5

Duryea, Townsend, 1823-1888, photographer. A detail from Duryea's 1870 Panorama of Adelaide, photographed from the Town Hall tower.

25 Angas Street. Established in 1848. In 1924 this hotel was converted into premises for the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Association. From 1860-1864 known as the Supreme Court Hotel (not to be confused with the premises on Gouger Street). The building has been demolished. The rear of St Francis Xavier's Cathedral can be seen bottom left.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.