Photo Library

Norfolk Arms Hotel, Rundle Street, c1893


Photo taken 31 December 1892

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 2809

Gall, Ernest, photographer

On the western corner of Rundle Street (now Mall) and James Place, the Norfolk Arms was established in 1847 and was renovated in 1878, rebuilt in 1916 and renovated again in 1976, thereafter operating as a basement venue. Ceased trading in 1990. There is a banner hanging from its balcony, urging people to 'vote for Alderman Whelan'. Thomas Tierney was the licensee at the time of this photo. He had previously been a barman at the establishment. The Red Lion Hotel can be seen three buildings closer to King William Street

"Thomas Tierney, barman of the Norfolk Arms, and Louis Lazarus, barman of the Langham Hotel, were each fined £2 and costs for promoting totalisator sweeps."
Border Watch, Saturday 12 January 1884, p3

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.