Photo Library

Majestic Hotel, King William Street, 1962

Photo taken 01 March 1962

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 70890/23

Michael Lockley, photographer

100 King William Street. The Majestic Hotel started out as the Alma Shades in 1857, then in 1858, was known as the Adelaide Shades. It was re-named as the Clarence Hotel from 1863-1917 and then became the Majestic. It traded under that name until 1981 when it was demolished. The Majestic Theatre had opened in 1916 and later became the Warner Cinema.

The photo was taken during the 1962 Adelaide Festival of Arts parade and also shows the Adelaide Town Hall.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.