Photo Library

King William Street south of Pirie Street, Adelaide, 1897

Photo taken 31 December 1896

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 5258

The Criterion Hotel, 137 King William Street, was established as the Family Hotel in 1857 and changed name in 1864. Demolished in 2010.

Near side of Lorne Chambers is 37 yards south of Waymouth Street and Pirie Street. Buildings along the west side of King William Street include the Post Office on the corner of Franklin Street, a watchmaker and jeweller, Criterion Hotel, Esselbach's Cafe - Ladies Refreshment Rooms upstairs, and downstairs is fruiterer Alfred J Harvery. Lorne Chambers is above a stationer. The next building houses Triumph Cycle Agency and the auctioneers Matters and Company. There are horses and carriages lined up in the middle of King William Street outside the Town Hall awaiting passengers. People riding bicyles and pedestrians complete the scene.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.