Photo Library

John Bull Hotel, Currie Street, 1912

Photo taken 01 July 1912

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 1813

The John Bull Hotel in July 1912 when the licensee was John W Bond. The John Bull Hotel opened on 27 January 1853 at 67 Currie Street between Topham Street and Bloor Court. For a time it was called the John Bull Inn and the Royal Mail Inn. It was the first coaching hostelry in Adelaide and before 1856 was the starting point of Rounsevell's coach. The John Bull stables and horse yards were behind the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt in 1909 and demolished fifty years later on 28 February 1958.

Go to State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia