Photo Library

John Bull Hotel, Currie Street, 1909

Photo taken 01 January 1909

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 11092

The John Bull Hotel opened in 1853 at 67 Currie Street between Topham Street and Bloor Court, seen here in 1909. For a time it was called the John Bull Inn and the Royal Mail Inn. It was the first coaching hostelry in Adelaide, and before 1856 was the starting point of Rounsevell's passenger coach. The John Bull stables and horse yards were behind the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt in 1909 and demolished in 1958.