Photo Library

Hamburg Hotel, Rundle Street, c1900

Photo taken 29 November 2006

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 17565

South-east corner of Rundle Street (now Mall) and Gawler Place. Established as the Suffolk Inn in 1840, it had a number of other names during its life as a licensed premises, including the Saracen's Head and the Hamburg Hotel 1847-1915. The name was changed to the Oriental in 1915 due to anti-German sentiment and continued to trade under that name until 1966.

That old and well known hotel, the Hamburg Hotel, at the corner of Rundle-street and Gawler-place, has recently undergone a complete metamorphosis in every respect. Some four months ago Mr. P. A. Radford secured a lease of the place and with his well known business ability set about making a complete renovation of the premises. He had a good foundation to work upon, as the building is a substantial one, well situated and thoroughly up to date. The inside fittings were not, however, up to Mr. Radford's idea of a first class hotel, and as soon as he took possession he consulted Mr. J. Quinton Bruce, architect, and gave him full power to rectify the matter. A complete remodelling of the place was decided upon, and was carried out to the very letter, with a result that the Hamburg is now beyond doubt the most handsomely fitted hotel in Adelaide. The main bars have entirely changed their appearance, and are lighted with handsome windows of stained glass and fitted and furnished in a perfect manner. In the saloon bars, however, Mr. Radford has been more exacting still, and they do credit alike to architect and licensee.
The entrances are from; either Rundle-street or Gawler-place, and the interior decorations are carried out in a most artistic manner. The windows lighting the bars are of fine stained glass in handsome design, the harmonious arranging of the colors being quite a study in the art of stained glass decorations. Here and there are cosy corners, easy lounges, and private tables. The upholsterings are in fine tapestry, and the fittings in polished walnut. The walls are covered with large bevelled mirrors and fine steel engravings, while here and there cool looking palms are placed, enhancing the effect. On the ground floor there is also a commercial and smoke room, which is fitted and furnished in the same manner. The dining-room is upstairs, and looks out over a balcony on to Rundle street. It is delightfully cool-looking in summer and snug in winter. The draperies and decorations are arranged in keeping with the season.
Off the dining-room is another smoke room for gentlemen and a drawing-room for ladies. The house is well supplied with bedrooms, well furnished and fitted with every requisite. On the same floor are hot and cold baths, and every other convenience that is required in a first class hotel. The cuisine arrangements are perfect, and the accommodation excellent in every way. Only the best wines, beers, and spirits are stocked, and customers are shown every attention. Situated as it is, the Hamburg Hotel should, under its new landlord, become a very popular house, and meet with the attention the enterprise deserves. We might mention that the various contractors in the renovation were: Lead lights, W. Troy: woodwork, W. Rogers; paperhangiings, H. L. Vosz; and painting, J. Warren.”
The Critic, Saturday 27 September 1902, p23

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.