Photo Library

Former Dublin City Hotel, Wakefield Street, Adelaide

Photo taken 03 August 1925

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 2819

These are very early cottages. The one with the verandah was on the site of the Old Colonist Inn (1850-1858) AKA the Dublin City Hotel (1858-1861). The property was bought in 1861 by J. Armstrong and converted into a residence. The Old Colonist Inn contained a ballroom which was used by the Imperial troops whose quarters were immediately opposite. On the south side of Wakefield Street, the left side of the cottages is 31 yards east of Gunson Street (on the right). All of these dwellings were demolished in 1925.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.