Photo Library

Eagle Tavern, Hindley Street, Adelaide, 1903

Photo taken 24 January 1903

State Library Catalogue Reference: PRG 733/576

Established in 1846 on the north-east corner of Hindley Street and Bank Street. Rebuilt in 1905 and ceased trading in 1978. The 1905 building still exists, although as a fast food restaurant.

'Up and down the city road, In and out the Eagle.'
The Eagle Tavern in Hindley street is probably as well known in Adelaide as that old couplet, and as many people must have patronised the hostelry as have whistled the tune that parrots are always taught. There are men who walk into the Eagle to-day who remember it 30 years ago. It was great place of call, and a most popular hotel for people to stay at in the early days. The last man who will have charge of the Eagle is Mr. C. Cocks, who not long ago kept the Halfway House, on the Bay road. The ancient tavern is to he pulled down, and the South- Australian Company, who have a building lease, intend to erect a commodious hotel on the old site. The man who is best remembered at the Eagle is Mr. McKenzie, who was land lord for many years. His daughter married Mr. Rooney, who also had the house. The oldtimers are wont to talk about how they dropped into the Eagle in the fifties. If the place could speak it could tell some wonderful tales. In the stables at the rear Mr. E. G. Blackmore kept Lancelot, who was ridden by the poet Adam Lindsay Gordon in the first Hunt Club Cup, won by Gipsy Girl. Mullin's Lightfoot was also stabled there, and likewise Davis's Star, who fell in the Adelaide Cup which was won by Aldinga."
Register, 14 Jan, 1903, p4

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.