Photo Library

Draught horses outside the John Bull Hotel, Currie Street, Adelaide, 1914

Photo taken 01 January 1914

State Library Catalogue Reference: PRG 280/1/10/177

A team of six draught horses standing in the yard of the John Bull Hotel, 67 Currie Street, Adelaide with their handler and three other men. The John Bull Hotel opened on 27 January 1853 at 67 Currie Street between Topham Street and Bloor Court. For a time it was called the John Bull Inn and the Royal Mail Inn. It was the first coaching hostelry in Adelaide and before 1856 was the starting point of Rounsevell's coach. The John Bull stables and horse yards were behind the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt in 1909 and demolished fifty years later on 28 February 1958.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.