Photo Library

Black Swan Inn, North Terrace, Adelaide, c1869


Photo taken 31 December 1868

State Library Catalogue Reference: B 13423

61-65 North Terrace. Established in 1845 as the Black Swan Inn, changed to the Black Swan Hotel in 1887 and later to the Centralia in 1940. It closed in the 1990s and the site is now University of South Australia buildings. The sign near the door advertises fine English ales and London Porter. Thomas Cragen was the owner from 1869 to 1892.

Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.