Victoria Park Racecourse (North-East Precinct)


Fullarton Road ADELAIDE

The surviving buildings at the north-east corner of the former Victoria Park Racecourse have significant associations with the early use of the Adelaide Parklands for recreation and with the development of horse racing in this state. Victoria Park was the first official racetrack in South Australia, with the earliest meetings being held there in 1846. The oldest surviving building, the Grandstand (SHP No. 13661), was constructed in 1882. Victoria Park remained South Australia's premier racecourse for many decades, with the Entrance Gates, Turnstile Building, Kiosk and former Adelaide Racing Club Office building representing later developments at the site from the 1920s to the 1950s. The precinct also demonstrates notable design and construction techniques as displayed by the 1880s Grandstand and 1950s Entrance Gates and Office Building. In addition, the precinct includes a rare surviving group of cast-iron turnstiles within the red-brick entrance building adjacent to the cast-iron gates. The precinct also demonstrates notable design and construction techniques as displayed by the 1880s Grandstand and 1950s Entrance Gates and Office Building. In addition, the precinct includes a rare surviving group of cast-iron turnstiles within the red-brick entrance building adjacent to the cast-iron gates.