Royal Adelaide Hospital (South-West Precinct) [including Sheridan Building (former Kiosk), Bice Building, Women's Health Centre (former Outpatients' Department), Allied Health Services Building (former Admissions and Casualty Department), McEwin Building,


North Terrace ADELAIDE

The Royal Adelaide Hospital (South-West Precinct) comprises a cohesive group of related buildings occupying a prominent position at the south western corner of the Royal Adelaide Hospital, and is representative of the importance of the Hospital in South Australia's history. Established by the colonial government in 1841, the Hospital is the oldest facility of its kind in the state, and has occupied its present site since 1856. It has functioned as the principal public/ teaching hospital for South Australia, and centre for medical research and training for over 170 years. The place demonstrates an important aspect of South Australian history in the development of public health and the growth of centralised services for the community in the first half of the twentieth century. Its location, on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Road, demonstrates the early twentieth century planning for a larger and more efficient hospital. Although the six buildings in the precinct were constructed over a period of more than forty years from 1908 to 1946, the result is a carefully considered complex of structures related by location, scale, aesthetic detail and materials, which demonstrate the expansion of the hospital in response to population growth and advances in medical treatment in the early to mid-twentieth century. A significant quality of these buildings is both their individual and group aesthetic which is quite distinct from other contemporaneous architects' work. The precinct evolved from a Master Plan for the site conceived in 1921-22, and progressively implemented over the following 25 years. The six buildings display a cohesive design aesthetic originating with the design for the Former Margaret Graham Nurses' Home completed in 1911 (State Heritage Place No 13093), and continued in the work of successive architects in the Architect-in-Chief's Department, including the important South Australian architect George Gavin Lawson who was employed for a time in the Department. Their formal design and the aesthetic qualities of the group demonstrate an outstanding and original interpretation of Edwardian/Inter-War Free and Stripped Classical design in South Australia which evolved, with repeated scale and detail, over several decades from the early 1900s to the 1940s. The distinctive and original design vocabulary demonstrated by the buildings in the precinct was first introduced in the Margaret Graham Nurses' Home. As well as distinctive colonnaded verandahs to all levels the building displays a design vocabulary of bell cast roof forms, broad eaves with brackets, rendered rusticated plinth with face red brick walls above, and entrance porticoes with rusticated columns. The essence of this style is further elaborated in the Bice Building (completed 1927) and repeated in later buildings in the North Terrace group, including the Women's Health Centre and Allied Health Services Building (both completed in 1935) and the McEwin Building (completed in 1946). These four finely-detailed multi-storied buildings are complemented by the simplified tempietto (temple-like) form of the small central Sheridan Building (1925). The exterior integrity of the group is high and together these five buildings present as a unified and readily recognisable precinct at the eastern end of the North Terrace streetscape. As a prominent landmark, and the primary access point to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for most patients and visitors, the precinct has important