Former Westpac Bank (former Bank of New South Wales)


2-8 King William Street ADELAIDE

Constructed between 1939 and 1942, the former Westpac Bank building is significant for its modern expression of inter-war commercial multi-storey architecture and is the only large-scale example of the Inter-War stripped classical style of architecture in Adelaide. It demonstrates a high degree of creative, aesthetic or technical accomplishment as South Australia?s foremost example of an early Modern high-rise office building in the inner city. The building was constructed as the Adelaide head office of the Bank of New South Wales and marked the rise of the banking sector in Adelaide as a part of the intense local rebuilding programme by financial institutions in South Australia during the 1930s-early 1940s. The building was designed in the Inter-War Stripped Classical style, the main features being its symmetrical massing, forming a fundamentally classical composition but with minimal use of classical ornamentation, resulting in an austere appearance. The facades are faced with South Australian Waikerie and Ramco limestone, and Victorian Dromana granite. The window frames and doors were originally of bronze, but the upper floor windows have been refitted with bronze anodised aluminium frames. The building occupies a prominent corner site in Adelaide at the intersection of King William Street and North Terrace. The extent of listing includes the whole of the exterior, and any surviving examples of original internal finishes.