Rotunda, Adelaide Zoo


Frome Road ADELAIDE

The rotunda was erected in 1884 as the result of a donation from Sir Thomas Elder, then President of the Royal Zoological Society and an important benefactor to many worthy causes during his lifetime. The Zoological Gardens first opened in 1883 and were the direct descendant of the earlier Acclimatization Society. The rotunda is thus strongly associated with an early prominent citizen and one of the early societies in Adelaide. Apart from being one of the oldest structures at the Zoo, it is also one of the largest rotundas in South Australia - compare it with the rotunda in Elder Park, Adelaide, (registered place 13410) also donated by Elder. The rotunda was made locally by G E Fulton. (PJS 18/11/97)