Art Gallery of South Australia Auditorium (former Government Supplies Store, later Military Store, sometime South Australian Archives, sometime Historical Museum)


North Terrace ADELAIDE

Built in 1867 as a store for the Mounted Police, the building is associated with the nearby former Mounted Police Barracks (registered place 10872) and former Armoury (registered place 13667). It was later used as a military store by the Colonial and Commonwealth forces. It is also significant as the first home of the South Australian Archives, established in 1919 and the first public archives in Australia. In the 1970s and early 1980s it also served as the Art Gallery of South Australia's Historical Museum.