Office (former Adelaide Kindergarten Training College, former Dwelling) and front fence


95 Palmer Place NORTH ADELAIDE

Built in 1883 for successful merchant and pastoralist GP Doolette, this villa is of most significance for its twentieth century use as the Adelaide Kindergarten Training College, which served the entire State. The College was founded in 1907 and occupied several premises until the Kindergarten Union purchased this dwelling in 1915, thanks to a gift from Robert Barr Smith, one of the State's greatest philanthropists. The College remained in the premises until it relocated to Childers Street, North Adelaide in 1961. For most of that period the College was the second most significant teacher training institution in the State, the other being Adelaide Teachers College, established in 1876 as the Teacher Training School. [S Marsden et al 'Heritage of the City of Adelaide (1990) p371]