Dwelling (former Ebenezer Baptist Chapel)


21-29 Brougham Court NORTH ADELAIDE

The former Ebenezer Chapel is of historical significance as the first purpose-built Baptist church in South Australia. Built and opened in 1843, the simple brick building could seat 130. Services ceased in 1870. In the 1930s the building was converted into a dwelling, but its basic early form remains readily discernible. [H Estcourt Hughes 'The Story of our First Hundred Years' (1937) pp29-32, 71 and S Marsden et al 'Heritage of the City of Adelaide (1990) p321-2]