Blind Welfare Institute (former Wesleyan Methodist Church Hall)


84 Archer Street NORTH ADELAIDE

Archer Street Wesleyan Methodist Church has been described as being, for over fifty years, 'one of the grand places of Methodism,... the mother church of Wesleyanism north and west of the city.' [Arnold Hunt 'This Side of Heaven' (1985) p 88]. The original church building sat over 1000 and opened in 1856. It was demolished in 1964 and replaced by a smaller building, and its former hall, erected in 1882-83 as a Sunday School and lecture hall, is significant as the only surviving building from the 19th century when the church was at its peak.