Greek Orthodox Church & Bell Tower


282-288 Franklin Street ADELAIDE

This Greek Orthodox Church, erected in 1966 and known as the Cathedral of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, is significant as the principal place of worship for the Greek community in the city, and as a prominent symbol of non-British migration to Australia. The design of the Church is a modern interpretation of Byzantine architecture, and testimony to the cultivation of Greek culture in Australia by Adelaide's Greek community. It stands on the site of the Adelaide Greek Community's first church, erected in 1937. The round-shaped church makes a positive contribution to the streetscape because of its scale and distinctive design including the bell tower. (PJS 17/11/97)