Botanic Chambers


301-307 North Terrace ADELAIDE

The Botanic Chambers, along with the associated Botanic Hotel, have very high architectural significance both for their form and style, and for their connection with the Architect, Michael McMullen of whose work they are perhaps the best surviving example. Constructed in 1877 as a combination of unlicensed hotel, shops and terrace housing, the building is a particularly opulent example of the Victorian Italianate style. The attached Botanic Chambers comprise a row of seven terrace houses of unusually grand style with lofty basements projecting to above ground level, and bay window fronts, quite rare in Adelaide terrace houses. The fact that the building is one of only two remaining examples of hotel /terrace house combinations in the city, and one of only a handful in South Australia, adds further to its importance. The building is historically significant for its connection with its first owner, Richard Vaughan, who founded the East End Market Company and played a pivotal role in the development of the nearby produce market, and with it the east end of the City. [Adapted from: LeMessurier Architects 'Conservation Plan for the Botanic Hotel and Chambers at Cnr North Terrace & East Terrace, Adelaide' 1989]