Office (former Dwelling)


263-264 North Terrace ADELAIDE

These attached two storey houses were built for Dr John Fisher in 1872. Designed by English & Rees, they featured large summer living rooms in the basements and the westernmost one had a surgery and waiting room on the ground floor. From the 1880s it became more common for medical men to build residences with surgeries on North Terrace. Today such places have been largely superseded by offices and commercial establishments. Hence these former residences are now significant as a reminder of an important phase in the development of one of Adelaide's major boulevards.