Former Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) No.1 Converter Station


52-60 East Terrace ADELAIDE

Built in 1908 and designed by English & Soward, the former Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) No.1 Converter Station is historically significant because of its identification with the foundation of the MTT, the commencement of the electrification of the tramway network and the history of public transport in Adelaide generally. It is the most important MTT Converter Station to survive although machinery has been removed. It is architecturally significant as an excellent example of the application of architectural design to an industrial building. The building features high quality detailing including rock faced sandstone and brickwork. (Derived from Register of the National Estate listing)