Office (former SA Brewing Company Offices)


222-228 Hindley Street ADELAIDE

The building is of historical significance because of its association with the South Australian Brewing Company, for which it was built in 1940-41 as the administrative headquarters. They were sited near the now demolished West End brewery, which moved to Southwark in 1980. The building is architecturally significant as a design of prominent Adelaide architect F Kenneth Milne. The building is an unusual rendering of the Georgian idiom with strictly disciplined fenestration and crisply detailed dressings in what appears to be artificial stone. Surrounds to openings and upper string course are loosely derived from Classical detail and reflect the desire of architects during this period to interpret rather than copy stylistic detailing. In many ways, this building anticipates Milne's later HC Sleigh building. The interior of the Brewery offices are of particular note for their originality and detailing, including panelling and metal work. The integrity of the building is high, both internally and externally. The complex was extended in 1956 to the design of SH Gilbert. (City of Adelaide Heritage Survey 1986 - report dated 1982) Milne designed several substantial buildings in the Neo-Georgian style in and around the city, including 'Sunnyside', 227-231 Stanley Street, North Adelaide (registered place 13554).