Old Methodist Meeting Hall


25 Pirie Street ADELAIDE

Built in 1862, the former Methodist Meeting Hall is the last remaining part of a complex which was once the centre of Methodism in South Australia. It was associated with the adjacent Wesleyan Methodist Church (now demolished) and reflects the growth of Adelaide in the 1860s. It also represents an important element of Methodism in its early use as an educational centre in which Prince Alfred College was established. Architecturally, the mid-Victorian Gothic hall is significant for being designed by Edmund Wright, one of the leading architects of the period. The former Methodist Meeting Hall is also significant in maintaining the character of the historic precinct at the rear of Pilgrim Church in Flinders Street and the Town Hall on King William Street. (PJS 25/11/97)