Scots (originally Chalmers' Free) Church [Uniting, former Free Presbyterian Church]


237 North Terrace ADELAIDE

Scots Church was built in 1850-51 and the spire was added in 1856. Originally known as Chalmers' Free Church, it is significant for being one of the Colony's major Free Presbyterian churches and is one of the grandest of those that have survived. It is also the only survivor of the Presbyterian Churches erected in Adelaide prior to Presbyterian Union in 1865 and is the second oldest church of any denomination remaining in South Adelaide.