Heritage Places of Adelaide

Walkley Cottage (originally Henry Watson's House), St Mark's College [modified 'Manning' House]


43-44 Pennington Terrace NORTH ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

This building is a rare example of a prefabricated timber 'Manning House' which has subsequently been enclosed with a brick structure. Dating from 1839, the Manning house is the remains of one of five known to be extant in South Australia. The brickwork section is believed to date from 1840 and the complete structure reflects early building technologies in the Colony and the determination of settlers to improve the quality of accommodation available. The cottage was built for Henry Watson, a relative and business partner of John Barton Hack, a prominent South Australian colonist (HSA, 2/2000).

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 24 July 1980

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.