Skip to main content

Heritage Places of Adelaide

South Australian Museum East Wing


North Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

The South Australian Museum's Eastern Wing is historically significant as the third of four wings planned in the 1870s to house what was then known as the South Australian Institute. The fourth wing planned to front North Terrace was never built. Officially opened in December 1915, it housed Natural History and Art Museums. In 1937 the Art Museum (ceramics, prints, weapons, coins and historical items) was transferred to the new Melrose Wing of the National Gallery of SA and in 1938 a Children's Museum opened in a portion of the space vacated. This notable innovation was funded by a Carnegie Corporation grant.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 23 September 1982

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.