Heritage Places of Adelaide

Scots (originally Chalmers' Free) Church [Uniting, former Free Presbyterian Church]


237 North Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Scots Church was built in 1850-51 and the spire was added in 1856. Originally known as Chalmers' Free Church, it is significant for being one of the Colony's major Free Presbyterian churches and is one of the grandest of those that have survived. It is also the only survivor of the Presbyterian Churches erected in Adelaide prior to Presbyterian Union in 1865 and is the second oldest church of any denomination remaining in South Adelaide.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 11 September 1986

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.