Heritage Places of Adelaide

Office (former Dwelling)


263-264 North Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

These attached two storey houses were built for Dr John Fisher in 1872. Designed by English & Rees, they featured large summer living rooms in the basements and the westernmost one had a surgery and waiting room on the ground floor. From the 1880s it became more common for medical men to build residences with surgeries on North Terrace. Today such places have been largely superseded by offices and commercial establishments. Hence these former residences are now significant as a reminder of an important phase in the development of one of Adelaide's major boulevards.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 11 September 1986

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.