Heritage Places of Adelaide

Mortlock Wing, State Library of South Australia


North Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Opened in 1884, the Jervois Wing of the State Library, so named in 1965, is historically significant as the second home of the South Australian Institute. It was planned as first stage of grandiose new accommodation for the Institute and was intended to be joined by three other wings to form a quadrangle. The building was occupied in 1882 but the Library and Museum were not formally opened until 18 December 1884, by which time the Institute had been replaced by the Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery, a combined body managed by a single board. The Jervois Wing housed the National Gallery (now Art Gallery) of South Australia 1882-89 and the Museum until 1893. Since then the Library has been the principal tenant. The interior is significant as a relatively well-preserved example of a Victorian library.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 28 May 1981

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.