Heritage Places of Adelaide

Greek Orthodox Church & Bell Tower


282-288 Franklin Street ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

This Greek Orthodox Church, erected in 1966 and known as the Cathedral of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, is significant as the principal place of worship for the Greek community in the city, and as a prominent symbol of non-British migration to Australia. The design of the Church is a modern interpretation of Byzantine architecture, and testimony to the cultivation of Greek culture in Australia by Adelaide's Greek community. It stands on the site of the Adelaide Greek Community's first church, erected in 1937. The round-shaped church makes a positive contribution to the streetscape because of its scale and distinctive design including the bell tower. (PJS 17/11/97)

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 11 December 1997
  • Heritage Listing Criteria:

    Criteria F: it has strong cultural or spiritual associations for the community or a group within it;

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.