Heritage Places of Adelaide

Former South Australian Institute Building, State Library of SA


North Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

The southern half of the Institute Building was completed in 1860 for the South Australian Institute, a body created by Act of Parliament in 1856. It is historically significant as the oldest cultural building on North Terrace. It was the first permanent home of what are now termed the State Library and South Australian Museum and also provided quarters for some important learned societies. The northern half was opened in 1907. The building is now part of the State Library complex.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 24 July 1980

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.