Heritage Places of Adelaide

Former Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) No.1 Converter Station


52-60 East Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Built in 1908 and designed by English & Soward, the former Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) No.1 Converter Station is historically significant because of its identification with the foundation of the MTT, the commencement of the electrification of the tramway network and the history of public transport in Adelaide generally. It is the most important MTT Converter Station to survive although machinery has been removed. It is architecturally significant as an excellent example of the application of architectural design to an industrial building. The building features high quality detailing including rock faced sandstone and brickwork. (Derived from Register of the National Estate listing)

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 14 February 1985

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.