Heritage Places of Adelaide

Crown & Sceptre Hotel


308 King William Street ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Dating from 1877 the Crown and Sceptre Hotel is architecturally significant as an excellent example of an Italianate design by the notable architectural firm of Woods & McMinn. The classically designed details are excellently executed and still remain in good condition. The building also demonstrates the technological innovation of EJ Woods and his experiments in venting buildings, later applied in his designs for public schools and Parliament House. A substantial amount of the original ventilation system still remains intact. (Adapted from Conservation Plan Swanbury Penglase 1997).

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 11 September 1986

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.