Heritage Places of Adelaide

Baptist Church Office - former Manse


65-69 Flinders Street ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Flinders Street Baptist Church was completed in 1863 and is a State Heritage Place. Mead Hall was erected in 1867/70, and the manse in 1877. The Church, the hall and the manse form an impressive group of ecclesiastical buildings, the integrity of which is now rare in the City and indeed in South Australia. The buildings as a group are of importance as the physical manifestation of the unification, consolidation and outreach of the Baptist cause in South Australia.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 11 December 1997
  • Heritage Listing Criteria:

    Criteria A: it demonstrates important aspects of the evolution or pattern of the State's history;

    Criteria E: it demonstrates a high degree of creative, aesthetic or technical accomplishment or is an outstanding representative of particular construction techniques or design characteristics;

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.