Heritage Places of Adelaide

BankSA (former Savings Bank of South Australia Head Office)


97 King William Street ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Historically, the Savings Bank of South Australia building is significant because it represents a wholly South Australian Bank established in the early years of the colony. Built 1939-1943, it is a symbol of the continued growth of the Bank's operations, which included school and work-place banking facilities as an early and at the time novel service for customers. Architecturally, the Savings Bank of South Australia is a monumental example of its pre-war style with many interesting design features. The building exemplifies the architectural struggle between classical leanings and modern techniques. (Heritage Conservation Branch Assessment Report 5/11/1982)

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 11 September 1986

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.