Heritage Places of Adelaide

Art Gallery of South Australia Auditorium (former Government Supplies Store, later Military Store, sometime South Australian Archives, sometime Historical Museum)


North Terrace ADELAIDE


State Heritage Place

Built in 1867 as a store for the Mounted Police, the building is associated with the nearby former Mounted Police Barracks (registered place 10872) and former Armoury (registered place 13667). It was later used as a military store by the Colonial and Commonwealth forces. It is also significant as the first home of the South Australian Archives, established in 1919 and the first public archives in Australia. In the 1970s and early 1980s it also served as the Art Gallery of South Australia's Historical Museum.

Listing Information

  • Date of Listing: 24 July 1980

Disclaimer: The content in the Heritage Places of Adelaide database has been adapted from the SA Government’s South Australian Heritage Register, made available via the Data SA website under a Creative Commons licence. See: https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/sa-heritage-places.

The information, map and materials contained in this database are for general information purposes only, and should not be relied on. The City of Adelaide make no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the content of in this database (including, without limitation, any as to the quality, accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose of such content), or any content of any other website referred to or accessed by hyperlinks through these web pages. The City of Adelaide expressly disclaims responsibility for any damages that may be caused by the contents of this database.