Skip to main content
Government House South Australia Slider Image 1 Government House South Australia Slider Image 2 Government House South Australia Slider Image 3

Government House South Australia

Government House, Adelaide is the oldest Government House in Australia and is the private residence of the Governor's family. The first Government House, the "Government Hut" was constructed of timber slabs, wattle and daub, a thatched roof, calico ceiling, and external stone chimneys. It is believed to have been on a site between the present railway station and the River Torrens, and was destroyed by fire in 1841. Located on the eastern lawns of Government House is a fine Armillary Sphere sundial which was installed in 1991. A gift to the State by Her Excellency The Honourable Dame Roma Mitchell, AC, DBE, CVO, the sundial was made in South Australia by Sundials Australia, and stands on a pedestal sculpted by local artist, Silvio Apponyi. The pedestal is made from Murray Bridge Rubble Limestone, a material similar to that used for the rebuilding of the North Terrace boundary wall of Government House.

Accessibility

  • Disabled access available, contact operator for details.
Government House South Australia

Corner King William Street & North Terrace Adelaide South Australia 5000

8203 9800