Guides & Maps

Easy walking trail Gladys Elphick Park / Narnungga (Park 25)


Posted on 23 Dec 2019

Gladys Elphick Park features several sporting fields used for football and cricket. Opposite the hospital, this park offers several walking tracks and reflection areas.

History

Narnungga translates to ‘native pine place’ in Kaurna, the traditional owners of the land. This was likely adopted due to the quantity of native pine in this area. This park honours the life and work of Gladys Elphick (1904–1988).

Aunty Gladys was a prominent Kaurna Elder and founding president of the Council of Aboriginal Women of South Australia (1964–1973) and known as a strong advocate for Kaurna women. She worked to raise the status of Aboriginal people in the community. She was appointed MBE (The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in 1971 for services to the Aboriginal people. In 1984, she was named ‘SA Aboriginal of the Year’. This park evolved from Colonel William Light’s 1837 plan of a city surrounded by Park Lands.

In 2006, the State Government announced the closure of the former SA Water Depot which occupied the portion of Park 25 to the west of the rail lines; the reintegration of the site back into the Park Lands was completed in 2015. This was symbolically important because it reinstated the continuity of Adelaide’s ring of Park Lands on the western side of the city.

  • Large Loop approximately 1.5km Bitumen path, undulating with incline at the beginning.
  • Small Loop approximately 600m. Bitumen and unsealed paths.

Parking

  • Car park entry from Glover Avenue and Port Road

Walking surfaces

  • Bitumen and unsealed

Mobility suitability

  • Suits all walking aids

Possible hazards

  • Leaves and sticks on paths
  • Uneven surfaces

Amenities

  • Shaded seating
  • Drinking fountains
  • Toilets